For the last several years, leadership of MARAD has made counterproductive decisions regarding the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. The decisions have included:
- Evicting the USMMA Alumni Association & Foundation from its headquarters on campus;
- Closing down a continuing education center that was recognized around the world;
- Purging alumni from positions in USMMA leadership;
- Getting rid of the USMMA training ship without having a replacement ready;
- Canceling Sea Year with no notice based upon anecdotal claims of sexual harassment/assault (SH/SA) at sea when the USMMA’s yearly SH/SA data driven reports show no issue at sea
Appearances would suggest that some in MARAD seek to weaken, and ultimately close, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
This website is offered so that all may review the facts in one place and draw their own conclusions.